Thread: ISF Mechanic
View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 09, 2012, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Not that I recall... but then again, the way the rules are worded, did they really need one?
And that is the point. I recall this being a topic of proposed rule change, and the NUS position being that it was unnecessary to present a rule "change" when no rule even suggested that time be granted anytime a batter asks. Game management hardly suggests that granting time will speed up anything!!

[rant on]
The rules say the pitcher has 20 seconds from receiving the ball to release a next pitch. ASA 6.3.O, NFHS 6-2-3. The batter has 10 seconds to take a position in the batter's box. ASA 7.3.C, NFHS 7-3-1. Wouldn't it stand to reason that the batter is expected to wait that difference in time? And that the rules makers and rules committees believe that is a reasonable amount of time for a batter to wait?

If the pitcher is completely within the allotted time, where does it say in any rulebook or manual that the batter can get "time" until the pitcher pitches when the batter wants? If the pitcher violates, call the violation; if the pitcher is within the allotted time, "keep playing". Batters easily adjust to NOT tensing before the pitcher is ready to pitch, just keep it consistent and fair to both sides, no advantage, no disadvantage, just what the rules say and allow.

Can (may) the PU grant time? Sure; if there is a good reason. The batter not wanting to wait that long isn't a good reason; how long is too long? According to the rules, 20 seconds is too long, regardless how long the batter, coach, or parents think is too long. And the batter attempting to control the pitcher is even worse. You are expected to control the pace of the game, using the rules, and the purpose of the rules.

Reverse logic alert!! Being told an umpire "MAY NOT" grant time if the pitcher's hands are together or after a pitcher begins the pitching motion DOES NOT MEAN you can or should grant time any time prior to that point; it means you COULD if there is a good reason to. Bugs flying around her, sweat dripping in her eyes; they are good reasons. In just about every other circumstance, "keep playing".

In my opinion, consistency in application of the rules is one key to success. Don't screw up what batters are starting to understand at almost ALL levels by being the guy who thinks to routinely grant time when there is no reason makes him the good guy.
[/rant off]

For the record, TCannizzo has been directed by ME, on the local level. He has partially bought in, kicking and fighting, because his coaching background makes him think the batter is being disadvantaged. But he is beginning to see how the game is evolving to that, that batters are safely and adequately adjusting; even without a specific ASA directive.

Last edited by AtlUmpSteve; Mon Jul 09, 2012 at 04:01pm.