View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 06, 2012, 05:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Helicopter Parents ...

I coached middle school basketball for over twenty-five years. Lack of playing time for one player, and lack of a starting position for another player, both of whom were grandchildren of a former, still influential, town councilman, led to my resignation as coach, something that I had already been contemplating for a few years to concentrate on my officiating. Helicopter parents, parents that hover over their kids, drove me from a job that I used to love.

I don't ever remember my Dad saying anything negative about any of my coaches, at many levels, in a few different sports. I had a few real bad coaches, as well as several pretty good coaches, and my Dad expected me to deal with the coaches on my "own two feet" if I had any complaints, concerns, or questions.

The only way that I will ever coach again, in any sport, is if I'm asked to coach a group of orphans.

My son teaches Sociology at a small private college. He tells me that parents of his students will often call him to complain about their childrens' grades. This is college. What is this world coming to?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)