View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 20, 2012, 03:21pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopguy View Post
In my area, there is a basic rate of pay that most non high school games pay give or take $1. Every now and then I hear of or get approached to work for less money. I believe there could be a way to distinguish these leagues and tourneys that pay less money.

In my area, leagues and tourneys advertise saying ‘there will be 2 IAABO refs working all games’. I do not want to discuss the pros and cons of IAABO but the organizers ARE using this to promote their league or tourney. My proposal would be for the IAABO boards in my area to get together and agree that the IAABO rate for non high school games is XX and not allow any League or Tourney that pays less than XX dollars per game to promote using ‘there will be 2 IAABO refs working all games’. Obviously, anyone could still work the games but they would not be able to promote it with the ‘2 IAABO refs will be working’.
If the officials are IAABO officials, there's nothing the boards can do -- the advertising isn't false at all.

Had a guy ask me to help fill an 80 team tourney today. I sent an email. 90 miles away, paying 20 bucks a game. Good luck.