Thread: Throw in spot
View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 16, 2012, 08:20am
Esteemed Forum Member

Fire Up The Flux Capacitor ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbking View Post
A1 has the ball for throw in on the end line. He passes the ball up court to A2. A2 has one foot at the division line in bounds and the other foot out of bounds. Where is the throw in spot for the violation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Where hey stepped OOB. The spot is where the ball goes OOB by touching the player who is OOB. Oh, perhaps you wanted to relate it to a throwin violation, doesn't work because the throwin in only required to legally touch or be legally touched by a player inbounds or out of bounds.
The Forum gets a few questions regarding this situation every year. Why is there confusion on such a simple call? Because there are a few officials, coaches, and fans, that remember the old NFHS rule from the mid 1980's that had this as a throwin violation. Under this ancient rule, if thrower C1 "passes" the ball to "catcher" D1, who is out of bounds, it was a throwin violation on C1, and Team D would have gotten the ball for a throwin at the original spot. Questions like this will continue until all of us "old timers" go to the big jump ball circle in the sky.

Speaking of "old timers". I'm sure that Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. will be moseying along shortly to confirm my ancient interpretation.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jun 16, 2012 at 09:12am.