Thread: Infield fly?
View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Beef part 2

As I mentioned before, because the infield fly call was not heard, there was a tremendous amount of confusion during the play. It was my responsibility to ask for clarification from the umpires after the play, as to why the runner was called out. It was my mistake, that I did not.
Up until last night I still didn't know which runner was called out. I thought the runner at first was tagged out. After talking to the player, and my first base coach last night at our team practice, I had a chance to clarify the situation . Here is where it sits. Input is greatly appreciated.
After the ball was hit in the air, the first base coach had called the runner from 1st back to the bag, where he was still standing throughout the end of the play. Since the runner from second was stealing 3rd, and I had not heard the call, I was kept him at 3rd at the end of the play. The runners were standing on the 1st, and 3rd bag. The defensive team threw the ball to second, where the 3rd out was called. Is there an out.
Since there was an infield fly, the batter is out. Therefore there should be no force at 2nd, and the runner should be able to advance from 2nd, "at his own risk" without tagging. Am I wrong?