Thread: Infield fly?
View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 16, 2003, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Runners on first and second and 1 out. There was a double steal, hit and run. The ball was hit toward the second baseman's postion. It was a looping fly toward the gap. However, he was heading toward second to cover the bag. He had to sprint toward right field and attempt to make a Willie Mays type , over the shoulder catch. He missed. At that point both the batter, and the runner at first base were called out because of the infield fly.
I kept both of the runners moving because no one had heard "infield fly" called. Since the second baseman had to make such an effort, and move such a distance and make an "abnormal effort" on the ball, I was under the impression that there was no infield fly in effect.
The infield umpire had called both the batter, and the runner at first out since he was tagged during the confusion. I asked the infield umpire if he had called infield fly, and said replied "no". I turned to the home plate umpire , and asked who called it. He said he did call it. That was followed by an uproar from the stands. No one had heard him either.
The rule states that an infield fly is called if the ball should be caught under reasonable effort. It is a judgement call by the umpire. However, If the ball appears to be a tough play, and the call is not heard, do I have a beef?