View Single Post
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpireErnie View Post
The thing about time limit rules, even the National Championship one for ASA does not specify for the most part any events that effect the time limit.

The ASA rule is "time starts with the first pitch". Does that include a warm up pitch? I usually start my clock with the first warm up pitch and put my clock away. After all, the clock runs for the warm up pitches in the bottom of the first why not the top?

Do you stop the clock for any injury or just ones that last awhile? How long is awhile? Obviously if we are waiting for an ambulance we need to stop the clock (but there is nothing written to support this), but maybe not for a hit by pitch where the girl runs down the line a few times then is ok to go. I usually pull out my clock when something happens so I know where to restart from if it turns out to be clock stop worthy.

Does the time to sort out a scorebook issue or a BOO issue come off the clock? I usually apply the same method as above.. check the time then if I feel the break was clock stop worthy I will rest my timer to that time.

But all of these are just me trying to do what seems fair and correct and within the intent of the rules as far as I can determine without anything written to guide me.
Injuries, I agree in principle. Anything requiring outside help (trainer, etc.) is not game time. Everyone asking Suzie if she is OK ad infinitum is game time.

Disagree regarding scoring or BOO issues. As well as coaches wanting to "discuss" plays, and whatever time is necessary to complete resolution. They made it part of the game; it is part of the game, so part of the game time.

In Championship Play, first pitch is the first game pitch. In other tournaments, first warm up pitch is generally accepted.

In league ball, when we break up the conference or say "home team, take the field". Any delay after that is their problem.