View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 16, 2003, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Both of these are HTBT...

In 1) you've got to decide which fielder you are protecting. You can't protect both.
Quote:
batter bunts almost in front of the plate, but toward 1st. First baseman and catcher start after the ball. BR carefully steps around the ball, then looks up and realizes charging 1B is in her path
I'm visualizing that the ball died practically in front of the plate, or at least closer to F2 than F3, even with F3 playing in ("... batter bunts almost in front of the plate..."). I'd probably protect the catcher. F3, then is guilty of obstruction.

In 2), timing might be the key to the call. From your description, I will assume there was no hint of deliberate crash on the part of the BR. Also, since the collision was 3 feet from the bag, I will assume F3 did not move very far to try to retrieve the ball - more like reaching than running. If F3 is moving into BR's path giving BR no time to react, I've got nothin'. If BR had time to react, especially with a double base that she could have headed to, and BR continues to charge into F3, then I may have interference and BR out (the chance to make the out seems obvious.)