View Single Post
Old Wed May 02, 2012, 02:42pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueump View Post
I agree, which was the entire point of the post.

If an umpire ejects a player in Michigan for their helmet falling off, or because they have a white glove, or even because their last name starts with a Z...there is nothing a player or school can do. There is no review process, there is no appeal - heck the umpire apparently doesn't even need to file a report, even though its supposed to be required! The kid misses games despite the reasoning. Unfortunately this is even the case when it comes to state tournament time.

This policy opens up a big can of worms, I know; and I don't know if I have all the answers. It gives an awful lot of "power" to an umpire to not only control one specific game, but potentially affect games in the future. It's a tough lesson learned for the kid, that's for sure!
It sounds like the only recourse is a temporary injunction. Has that happened to your knowledge?

BTW-I've often wondered where the term can of worms came from. I suppose it came from catching and putting worms in a coffee can. Gotta love all those manure piles our neighboring farmer had on his place.