View Single Post
Old Tue May 01, 2012, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Good situation. I see 5 possibilities...and the way you described it and administered it doesn't match any of them. You called it as if it were #4 but you described it as it were #1 or #2, or perhaps #3.

All start with a T for unsportsmanlike conduct on A1.

1. If the two shoves were approximately the same time and all action occurred before the try ended:
  • The shove by B1 was a personal foul.
  • The shove back by A1 was also a personal foul.
  • Same time makes it a double foul.
  • Penalized the T....2 shots and the ball for B.
2. If the two shoves were NOT approximately the same time (B1 shoves then A1 gets back up and shoves back) and all action occurred before the try ended :
  • The shove back by A1 was also a personal foul
  • Not the same time makes it a false double foul.
  • Penalize all fouls in the order of occurance. T, personal, personal.
3. If the two shoves were NOT approximately the same time (B1 shoves then A1 gets back up and shoves back) and all the last shove only was after the try ended:
  • The shove back by A1 was a technical foul
  • Penalize all fouls in the order of occurance. T, personal, T.
4. If the two shoves were approximately the same time and both were after the try ended:
  • The shove by B1 was a technical foul.
  • Same time makes it a double foul.
  • Penalize the first T....2 shots and the ball to B.
5. If the two shoves were NOT approximately the same time (B1 shoves then A1 gets back up and shoves back) and both were after the try ended:
  • The shove by B1 was a technical foul.
  • Not the same time makes it a false double foul.
  • Penalize all fouls in the order of occurance. T, T, T.

The basket would count in any case.

A1 may or may not be DQ'd depending on which scenario really happened.

Whether the fouls were close enough in time to be considered "approximately" the same time, is your judgment.

You could declare actions a fight making both actions flagrant and DQ both of them in any case.
This was a very helpful breakdown. Thank you for taking the time.

Unsporting T.

Push in the back, while ball is in flight. Ball hits rim and clearly won't go in.
Then Player A1 retaliates and pushes back.

So it's #3. T, personal foul, T. So we should have shot 4 free throws plus the ball for Team B.

My thinking as I was talking to my partner, was upgrading the personal foul to a T because I felt the push might have been on purpose to get A1 to retaliate. In either case, I wanted to send a strong message to Team A and to Team B that this kind of non sense wasn't going to be tolerated. This is why we went with T, T, T. But we should have administered it 6 free throws, 2 for Team B, followed by two by Team A, followed by 2 for Team B and the ball OOB for Team B. Am I understanding it correctly?

Now that I think back on it though, I probably could have deemed it a fight and just DQ both players. That would have sent a much stronger message and much easier to administer