View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 25, 2012, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marker303 View Post
@ mbyron - Thanks for the response. Your understanding is correct, can you explain the call in a little more detail for my education. I assumed because the 3rd out was called, inning over. I understand they can appeal the call, just not sure of the deal at home. Also it appeared to me F3 made the play, so I truly thought we had the 3rd out.
If the 3rd out is recorded, then the inning is over. But the 3rd out was never recorded, since the umpire changed the initial call. That might be unfortunate for you but, assuming they got it right in the end, it's the right call.

Technically this is not an appeal, though everyone refers to it as that. The point is that the BU is using all the info available to him to get the call right, including PU's better angle on the foot touching the base.

My preferred mechanic here, if I'm BU and not sure whether he held the base, is to go to my partner first, before making a call. "Did he have the base?" "Yes/no" "Then he's out/safe!" Some prefer to make their own call first and then get help. You'll find advocates of both mechanics.

As for your judgment that F3 held the base: of course you did. When I'm a fan, I too see what I want to see. We are all biased when we root, which is why the game requires umpires. I will also say I'm impressed you've got 2 umpires for 10U.

Interesting thought: what do folks think about this. If the BU had initially called BR safe for F3 coming off the bag, would it have been easier and less controversial to correct back to an out/no score if that had been necessary?