View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 24, 2012, 11:20am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
BNR I did read that thread & like many of our threads, it didnt seem as though we ever came to a conclusion.
If I may be so bold, here's the conclusion for NCAA-M games. This email came directly from Art Hyland and the ruling will be included in next year's case book.

Quote:
Sorry for the late response, but your rules question presented several interesting issues, and I needed to research the issues to assure myself that there had not been any prior interpretations given by Ed Billick.

You have identified many of the rules which relate to your play situation, but none of them, individually or collectively, provides a definitive answer to your question. Accordingly, the following play situation and interpretation should clarify the issues in question and will be presented to the rules committee this May for final approval before being published in the Case Book:

Play Situation:
With 2 seconds remaining in the game and Team A behind by 2 points, Team A has the ball for a throw-in on the endline after Team B has scored. A-1, the thrower-in, passes the ball down court where it is first touched by B-1 who is standing with one or more feet out of bounds.

Ruling- Since the ball has never been touched by a player inbounds nor met any of the other conditions of Rule 4-70.4, the throw-in has never ended. Team B’s out of bounds violation results in a new throw-in by Team A from the original designated spot ( the endline ). No time shall come off the game or shot clock. Rule 4-70.4, 7-5.2 and 7-2.2

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Art Hyland
Sec. Ed., NCAA Men's Basketball Rules Committee
For NFHS, I would have said that I also had a definitive ruling, but in looking at the PENALTY section of 9-2, I'm not so sure.

NFHS 9-2-2 says that "The ball shall be passed by the thrower directly into the court from out-of-bounds so it touches or is touched by another player (inbounds or out of bounds) on the court before going out of bounds untouched."

[Complete off-topic question: why are there hyphens in "from out-of-bounds" but no hyphens in "inbounds or out of bounds"? I would never have noticed it except that I just typed it out ]

Ok, so prior to today, I would have stated with 100% confidence that a throw-in pass that was caught by a player who was standing out of bounds (out-of-bounds?) would be put back in play at the spot where it was caught. After all, the inbounder did his job. He threw the ball so that it touched a player out of bounds before it went out-of-bounds untouched. The violation must have been committed by the player who caught the ball, and so that's where the ball would be put back in play.

Today, however, after reading the PENALTY section that follows 9-2, I'm not so sure. It reads as follows:

Quote:
PENALTY: (Section 2) The ball becomes dead when the violation or technical foul occurs. Following a violation, the ball is awarded to the opponents for a throw-in at the original throw-in spot.
Notice that the penalty applies to the entirety of Section 2. So this now seems to say to me that the ball goes to the original throw-in spot, regardless of who causes the violation.

Thoughts?