View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 24, 2012, 11:14am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
I disagree, NFHS & NCAA-W says:

SITUATION 3: During an alternating-possession throw-in for Team A, thrower A1 passes the ball directly on the court where it contacts (a) A2 or (b) B2, while he/she is standing on a boundary line.

RULING: Out-of-bounds violation on (a) A2; (b) B2. The player was touched by the ball while out of bounds, thereby ending the throw-in. The alternating-possession arrow is reversed and pointed toward Team B's basket when the throw-in ends (when A2/B2 is touched by the ball). A throw-in is awarded at a spot nearest the out-of-bounds violation for (a) Team B; (b) Team A. (4-42-5; 6-4-4; 9-2-2; 9-3-2)

7-2-1 If the ball is out of bounds because of touching or being touched by a player who is on or outside a boundary line, such player causes it to go out.

2/21/12 Throw-in violations (Rule 9-5.1.b)
The interpretation of 9-5.1.b has been that when a player is standing on a boundary line or straddling
a boundary line when she catches a passed ball from a thrower-in, that player has caused the ball to be out of bounds...

Art Hyland has me confused
I was talking specifically about an end line throw-in rather than a spot throw-in. A1, OOB, throws to A2 across the lane. A2 catches it a) with one foot OOB and one foot touching the IB side of the line, b) with both feet in the air after jumping from IB, then lands OOB, or c) with one foot IB and the other touching the boundary line.

A seems more like a TI violation on A2 and B is clearly an OOB violation. C is a bit more hazy; but it doesn't really matter, as A2 is the violator either way.