View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 18, 2012, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Situation:
Bases Loaded, 1 out. I'm PU, working alone.

Batter hits a sharp line drive to the right of F6. F6 takes a quick step to his right, and gets a glove on it enough to knock the ball down. I take my step out towards 3B in foul territory. F6 recovers the ball, throws to F4 for the force at second. F4 throws to F5, while I move about 5 steps up towards 3B to cover the tag play. F5 tags out R2.

Head coach, on his way back to the dugout, asks me if F3's run counts or not.

So, my question to all of you... where should I have been to get the best look at all of this action? (And unfortunately, "hire a BU" isn't an acceptable answer, as I don't get to make that decision).
The REAL answer is "hire a BU" when working solo you cannot see everything like all runners touching all the bases. It's virtually impossible.

Let's take a look at the events

1. sharp line drive to the right of F6. F6 takes a quick step to his right, and gets a glove on it enough to knock the ball down.

Since it's a line shot R3 has to freeze (you said 1 out bases juiced) R3 now sees the ball on the ground and takes off.

2. F6 recovers the ball, throws to F4 for the force at second. Unless you have a REAL slow runner at third, R3 should be at least half way or more to home plate.

3. F4 throws to F5, while I move about 5 steps up towards 3B to cover the tag play. F5 tags out R2. F4 receives the throw from

F6 and now has to throw to F5.

Conclusion: Unless the runner at third was slow I would score the run. Also, I agree with another poster, when solo I would go to the mound area or what's commonly referred to as the "library area" to make most calls.

FWIW I hope they pay you a FEE plus 1/2 and as the weather gets hotter they should hire at least 2.

Pete Booth