View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 17, 2012, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

flopping

Please excuse my lack of specifics and the generalization.

The play I have in mind is when the defensive player gets in position - usually in the key -- but the offensive player avoids contact on the way to the basket, or the contact is so minimal -- the brush type of contact -- that is does not impact the play. Yet, the defensive player goes flying, arms waving, using with sound effects.

(Or at the younger level, what is usually seen is the player falling straight down, having yet to perfect the backward launch.)

In the past, I have always no-called this. My thinking has been that by falling to the floor, he has self-penalized his team.

However, this is the type of flop that needs to be halted, because first, it flows against the character of the game, and second, it makes for a dangerous situation. There is now a player on the floor, and if the shot is missed, there are usually three to four players going after the rebound. The guy on the floor gets stepped on, ankles roll, other people fall ... it is just a bad situation.

A good warning early in the game is important, of course. But calling it tight from the get-go will send a message to both teams early.

FYI -- To the administrators, I really enjoy this forum. It is forcing me to think about the craft. I appreciate the work you and everyone puts in on this. Thanks.