View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 17, 2012, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater View Post
This is an interesting subject as I was observed at the end of a game this season when something fairly similar happened. Here it is Unsporting (Intentional in USA), or disqualifying (flagrant) or during a dead ball or no contact its a Technical. I knew that there was going to be an attempt to foul but waited for a "deserved" foul to blow my whistle. Briefly after the whistle I see the second defender come in and knock the offense player to the floor. So I got him with a Disqualifying foul and called the initial contact as a simple personal foul.
My observer asked me why I waited to make a call and if I thought calling the play sooner would have prevented the "Hard Foul"? I believe he was right and I set the kid up (a bit, he still clobbered his opponent).
I hate observers who think like that. It is not the job of the officials to reward the team for trying to break the rules. The team which is trailing and wants to foul must do it properly. That means it needs to put the opponent at a disadvantage, but also has to be a basketball play and not excessive contact.
It is not your fault that the player wasn't able to foul correctly. Just like any other strategy which a team employs, it needs to be executed well.