View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 17, 2012, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shickenbottom View Post
mb, I believe you have the mechanic I'm describing incorrect. 3BL is 3rd base line extended into foul territory, and 1BL is 1st base line extended into foul territory.

The defense tried the un-orthodox 6-4-5 (Short-Second-Third) tag play DP, instead of the simpler 6-4-3 (Short-Second-First) DP.

If you're 3BL, you're not in a bad position for seeing both, but if you float out 1BL and open up, you're not gonna see both no matter how cross eyed you can make yourself from outside the dirt circle of Home plate. If you can, then your potentially an example of how humans evolved from fish with your eyes on the side of your head instead of on the front.

I know, I've heard the story how a very prominent umpire/instructor met his second or third wife who was Blond, by describing the eyes in the back of his head and how he could see the number of fingers on his hand when he looked the other way.
I see. I think, however, I'd stick with moving up the 3BL (not extended... toward 3rd). First, that's our natural first inclination anyway on a hit ball; second - the more likely play here is at 2nd or 3rd; third - moving to 3BL gives you a horrible angle at 1st base, a possible first play and likely 2nd play.

Besides - I don't think sticking with EITHER BLE gives you enough separation from the pitcher to make a call at 2nd base. You need to get up a foul line, then (in this case) back toward the dugout to expand your periphery.

West Houston Mike