View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 12, 2012, 08:51am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I am not allowed to join as a basketball official. Connecticut is an "all or nothing state". Since Connecticut is a 100% IAABO state, basketball officials here have no desire to join the NFHS (we get books, insurance, educational materials, etc. through IAABO). Individual basketball officials cannot join due to the "all or nothing" rule. I used to get access to NFHS materials (PDF's) by paying my $17.00 and registering (I know a guy) with the CIAC (our state's interscholastic sports governing body) as a volleyball official (which I'm not). That was before the NFHS and Arbiter got together. Since I'm not listed on Arbiter volleyball (because I'm not a "real" volleyball official), the NFHS no longer views me as a volleyball official. I am listed on Arbiter basketball, but the NFHS does not view any basketball officials in Connecticut as NFHS members.

Stupid IAABO. Stupid NFHS. Stupid Arbiter. Stupid monkeys.
Can you elaborate on the "all or nothing" rule? What does that rule state? My initial reaction, if I'm understanding the meaning correctly, is that has to be some sort of illegal rule. How can an organization hold independent contractors to such a stringent requirement? Perhaps I'm wrong, but it seems to smack more of an employer-employee relationship.