View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 09, 2012, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I heard a recent interview with John Adams (might have been during the tournament) in which he said that he thought there were too many charges being called. So that's probably where Bilas got that piece of ammo.

I personally disagree with their assessment.
Without reviewing every block/charge play and judging on the same criteria to determine correct call/incorrect call, it is difficult to validate the merits of this argument.

However, I as a whole, I think we could do a better job in the following areas:

+ Officials are often misapplying the restricted area rule. Often demonstrating a restricted area mechanic on plays not in the restricted area.

+ Officials are not correctly refereeing whether a player was inside the restricted area (I have seen many calls go incorrectly both ways).

+ Secondary defenders are not picked up and are still laterally sliding underneath an airborne shooter - makes me question whether the official is refereeing the defense.

This is obviously a new rule and I fully expect us to learn and become more experienced as it becomes a regular part of our game. I also see teams adjusting and trying to take fewer charges a la the NBA. There is a reason these calls are the hardest in the game IMO.