View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 09, 2012, 09:29am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
ref3808 - sounds like you handled it just fine...oftentimes the game DOES get better once the problem is addressed/removed.

In addition to a general lack/decline of sportsmanship by players and coaches, it has been my experience that more and more officials lack the "people skills" to handle/diffuse situations. I see officials routinely turn to issuing a T or ejection, when there were/are plenty of other remedies that they either don't know how to use or won't use.

Of course some will disagree (and just you wait...they'll be along shortly to do so and tell me i'm wrong...). It is a "chicken or the egg"-type discussion (are the players/coaches causing the ejections or are the lack of people skills/communication skills exacerbating the problem?). IMHO, it is most certainly a little of both. While every situation doesn't call for a T or ejection, I think that officials resort to the T/ejection becuase it is the "easiest thing to do"......
I don't think you're wrong so much as incomplete.

I would just add that sometimes the problem is the officials don't know how to spot trouble before it boils over. There are usually signs, and a quick word with the coach lets him know that you're listening, so it cuts off his frustration. It also gives you a chance to let him know there are better ways to communicate with you; doing this quietly in front of his bench does it without showing him up.

I'm using my spring/summer ball this year to work on my communication with coaches. If I can work with these guys, I can work with anyone who's actually accountable to a school district.

All that said, sometimes you just have to go straight to the T because the coach doesn't give you a choice.