Thread: Thanks ...
View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 05, 2012, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
I don't want to hijack the thread, but this is something I would like everyone's opinion on.

Do you think videos like this, or of pro plays, are appropriate for high school meetings? I think basketball plays have worth no matter what level, but let's just say I have to be very careful about the plays I use during our high school meetings. Some people feel like it is "big timing" to use clips from a higher level.
I'll echo the others: we all learn from the video. If the H.S.-only officials had to wait for decent video of their games they might be waiting for a very long time. The goal is to take from the video what you need mainly because, as JRut pointed out, rules can be applied differently under different codes.

If anyone is feeling "big-timed" they need to learn to check their ego at the door. Besides, the people on those videos working at a higher level are doing it better...that's why they're at the higher level in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Also when you use college plays, usually no one is in the room that you are selling out. Some people have gotten upset when they are on the video and the way they screwed up is highlighted.
JRut, I've been lucky enough to be in college meetings where the people on the video are in the room. Most, if not all, of them are very good about it and willing to discuss the situations afterwards which has been great. They were comfortable enough with themselves and their ability to realize no one is perfect. As long as no one is a jerk when asking them about a play or two they've been cool.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Thu Apr 05, 2012 at 01:06am.