View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 03, 2012, 01:51pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon30307 View Post
First of all not my game. This situation was told to me. High School Varsity. Batter hit by pitch and is sent down to first. Defensive team protests need to get out of the way of the pitch etc. etc. HP umpire confers with his partner and his partner agrees he leaned into it. HP umpire brings him back to the plate. Batter get in the box and asks the HP umpire what's the count? He's told 3 and 0. Next pitch a strike and the defensive team comes out on the field to celebrate the victory. HP umpire finds out the count was 2 and 2 and not 3 and 0. Game over.

Can this be fixed or is the game over? Definitely an injustice here.
The PU should not have solicited help from his partner. Not his call. However, since he did, and overturned the call, the PU has to know what the new count is. He shouldn't be guessing at this point. The batter must bear some responsibility too, as he had to know that he had two strikes on him when he leaned into the pitch. When he heard the umpire give him an obviously wrong count, he should have questioned it and not take advantage of the situation. Somebody was bound to have the right count, so what was to be gained by trying to cheat?

Therefore, I don't see any injustice, but in fact just the opposite. Justice was served, as the batter tried to cheat not only once by leaning into a pitch, but then again by pretending he had a 3-0 count. His coach should rip him a new one for not knowing the count (or pretending not to) and taking one down the chute for strike three.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Tue Apr 03, 2012 at 01:53pm.