Thread: R1 passes R2
View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 02, 2012, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only a fan View Post
play regarding runners passing one another...R3 in a run down between third and home. R2 runs to second and is standing on third when they chase R3 back to third. As he gets to the base he trips over the base and now R3 is on the outfield side of third base with R2 standing on third...question...has R2 now passed R3 who is considered an unobstructed runner?

Looking for some help and rule reference
What kind of help are you looking for?

D is [one hopes] getting an out here:
either R3 is getting tagged off the bag, or if they are both in contact, tag [the right] one
[hint - tag 'em both and the umpire will indicate which was the right one] and get the out.

Coach: stop whining for the cheap out on umpire action [to save you and your players from having to know what to do], and play ball and EARN it.

The only two ways I am calling an out here for how R3 ran bases is if R3 runs himself straight-line closer to 2d than R2, then I've got a "passing" out: but even in that sitch, more likely I've got an out if R3 runs [not falls, runs] more than 3 feet from a direct line between 3d & home TO AVOID A TAG.
IOW, if'n R3 "retreats" past 3dB more than 3' into the outfield getting away from a pickle, he's done/ out.