View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 19, 2012, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKExplorist View Post
I'm confident the ball was in the glove and the tag was made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
That is all that you need then for the out call. Nothing more.
But we're dealing with the wild and wacky world of USSSA softball, where the definition of "a tag" is just a little bit different...

TAG OUT. A tagout is the putting out of a runner (including the batter runner),
who is not touching a base, by touching the runner with a live ball or
with the glove or hand when the live ball is securely held there in by a fielder.
The ball is not considered as having been held securely if it is juggled or
dropped after the touching unless the runner deliberately knocks the ball from
the hand of the fielder.

Hmmmm? Was the ball "juggled or dropped after the touching"? Their rule seems to say that the runner would be safe- at least, if the umpires had actually seen the ball on the ground immediately following the tag.

I'm not trying to beat you up here. Sometimes, you get blocked out or aren't able to see everything you'd like to see. You made the call you thought was correct based on what you did see, solicited help from your partner when asked, didn't really receive anything overwhelming enough to make you change your mind, then ruled as best you could.

Been there, done that! I'm not sure what you could have done differently.

As for the coaches, I might give them just a little more leash, just because of the odd circumstances surrounding the play and the possibility that maybe you did blow this one. But once I've explained it and we're back to playing ball, I'm not going to listen to them rehash things over and over.

I think you were probably right to let them know enough was enough. But I didn't really like to frame my warnings with an "or else" qualifier (or else you're in the parking lot"). I think that can make the umpire look like the aggressor and serves to put the coach on the defensive. Just let them know you're done discussing it then, if they keep it up, do what you got to do.

Last edited by BretMan; Mon Mar 19, 2012 at 08:45pm.