View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 17, 2012, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Think about it APG, can you cite a rule or case play that tells us to determine what time was on the clock when contact occurred? Or do we review it to see when the whistle blew?

With that said, let's take replay monitors and shot clocks out of the equation. NFHS end of game situation. Contact clearly prior to horn but whistle and release (made basket) come after the horn. What would we do? I say we would wave off the shot but award 2 free throws.

For 'Cuse situation, using the monitor, I believe basket should have been waved off, put time on game clock equalled to when whistle blew, award 2 shots for foul during the shooting motion.

(Apologize if this is a repeat of what someone else said in other thread)
In NFHS land, were for 99 percent of games, a monitor isn't allowed, yes I agree that's how it would be handled if no official had definite knowledge about the timing devices.

I see the rule that you're mentioning...and the rule and accompanying interpretation are garbage. It's basically penalizing a team that was fouled before the expiration of time because an official was slightly late. A foul doesn't occur when the whistle blows...we just use that as a tool to signal the clock should be stopped. It's not as if one can't determine when contact occurred on the monitor.

I also contrast that with how it would be handled in the NBA which is logical...the contact (which was already deemed to be illegal) occurred before the shot/game clock expired and the affected team won't be penalized because an official wasn't able to put air in the whistle in a timely fashion or a table official wasn't able to instantaneously stop the clock.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.