View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 13, 2012, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Regarding #2: Most of my supervisors/assignors say don't do it because if another whistle comes from somewhere it creates all sorts of problems. I was always told if a kid blocks a shot and I don't do anything, that tells everyone in the gym the play was legal. Some people still do it because they can't break the habit.

I'll duck #1 since I'm NCAAW and this sounds like an NCAAM sort of question. NCAAW are, IMO, a bit more stringent on screens because that game is played below the rim, so screens in general have a bigger effect.
I'm guessing that this 'signal' is delayed by lead and after smoke clears, no whistles, he's good to go. At D1 you're obviously at a top level and partners know this and can work in sync.

It's a gasoline can near a fire for high school, there is no need what so ever to do this and can only lead to trouble. I haven't seen it much in my games, but it does crop up in kids games from less experienced officials.

To tag onto your OP, what is the 'signal' I've seen on a close play, typically by lead again I believe, where it appears to be a variation of a stop sign as official doesn't want to hear any commentary on a passed call?