View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 06, 2000, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by Warren Willson
FACT 2. The offense does gain a very slight advantage by this ruling BUT only in certain very specific circumstances.
Warren et. al.:

I can't see this. Perhaps I've been away from the field too long, but the offense can NEVER gain from missing a base in this situation.

Play: Two outs, R1, R3. Ball hit to the infield. R3 will be moving on contact.

The real-life possible scenarios are:

1. With the ball hit sharply but deeply anywhere, the throw will go to first.

2. With the ball hit up the middle and fielded by F6, the flip will go to second.

3. With the ball hit slowly to F6 or F4, it is likely the throw will go to second UNLESS

4. R1 was moving on the pitch, when the throw will go to first OR the fielder will simply eat the ball: infield hit.

The play in question, then, is an extremely rare event, made even rarer when we pretend the runner will miss the base.

The point: If R1 truly beats the throw to second, it doesn't matter whether he touches the base or not: R3 will have already reached the plate!

Did anyone ever see a flip to second (for a safe) followed by a fire to home for an attempted tag? Remember, a runner from third can score on a roller to second, unless the fielder is playing on the grass. When you add a throw to the time taken to field the bouncing ball, even I could make it home. (On a 40-foot diamond.)

I admire Warren for trying to find some saving grace in Pete's scenario, but this time, I'm afraid my friend from the Empire State has just mangled the call. Kicked the play. Screwed the pooch. Locked the barn door after....

Not to worry, Pete. It happens to us all.

My advice: Call it the way the PROs do. Come next week, we'll know what the PBUC does. That, as they, say, will be that!