Thread: Travel much?
View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
just another ref; If this is a rule ("by rule") then please show me where it states that "Violations, by rule, do not take advantage/disadvantage into account."

THE INTENT AND PURPOSE OF THE RULES
The restrictions which the rules place upon the players are intended to create a
balance of play; to provide equal opportunity between the offense and the
defense; to provide equal opportunity between the small player and tall player; to
provide reasonable safety and protection; to create an atmosphere of sporting
behavior and fair play; and to emphasize cleverness and skill without unduly
limiting freedom of action of individual or team play on either offense or defense.
Therefore, it is important to know the intent and purpose of a rule so that it may
be intelligently applied in each play situation. A player or a team should not be
permitted an advantage which is not intended by a rule. Neither should play be
permitted to develop which may lead to placing a player at a disadvantage not
intended by a rule.

Where does the NFHS say that advantage/disadvantage is to only to be utilized for fouls, and that advantage/disadvantage is not to be utilized for violations? The intent and purpose of the rules refers to "rules" and does not break it down into those rules involving fouls, and those rules involving violations. I will agree that advantage/disadvantage is usually applied to fouls, i.e inadvertent contact, however if we didn't use advantage/disadvantage for some violations, like three seconds, and ten seconds on free throws, then we'd be calling these violations a lot more than we actually do.
Advantage/Disadvantage as we typically use it is the method of determining incidental contact which is a factor in determining fouls, not violations (So 4-27 is your rule reference). Permitting a player to violate is practically the definition of allowing an advantage not intended by rule.