View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
That's a good question. Do we correct an error (rules, not judgement!) our partner makes in other cases? If your partner calls an infield fly with either runners on the wrong bases or the wrong number of outs, and it's not caught, do you fix it? If your partner rules the wrong offensive player out after a batter's inferference call, do you fix it? If your partner rules an out on a player who could not bat in her proper spot because she was on base after a BOO is not caught - do you fix it? If your partner awards 2nd base on a thrown ball that goes out of play because the runner was retreating toward 1st when it was thrown, do you fix it.

I say yes to all of these.

The issue, though, was that I didn't really know it was a rules mistake until far far too late.
That is exactly my point. You didn't know it was a rule interp problem - you thought it was bad judgment. I don't think you want to approach your partner with the 'bad judgment' comment. Nor do I think you want to stop the game to ask "What did you have there?". That should be the OC's job. Agreed, the other instances you mention are visible, public rule errors and should be corrected. But in your scenario, you don't have that at the time of the play.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"