Thread: Multiple Foul
View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 06:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Rikardo View Post
Reviewing foul definitions... Sure seems to be a multiple foul. Two teammates committed personal fouls against the same opponent at approximately the same time. Maybe I didn't make it clear that the common foul which came first wasn't called. The intentional foul came after, but they were close enough together that the official didn't have time to blow his whistle for the common foul. The intentional foul was the only one called. Granted, I'm only speculating that the official would've called the common foul, but it sure looked like a foul from my vantage point.
Let's assume the first was a foul. The ball becomes dead as soon as the foul is committed, not when the whistle blows. So even if the second foul comes before the whistle for the first foul, it's a dead ball foul. The second would have to be a technical foul, thus it doesn't qualify as a multiple foul.

Now most of the time, when this second foul comes in so fast we don't have time to whistle the first, we'll just go with the 2nd.

But you cannot, by rule, call it a multiple foul. It's a false multiple, and each foul gets its own penalty.