Thread: shoe laces
View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 27, 2012, 04:23pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansen View Post
NFHS

A1 has the ball in the backcourt and is slowly advancing to the frontcourt. As A1 crosses the division line, I notice B2 kneeling down to tie a shoe near A's basket. As trail I blow my whistle, let B2 tie the shoe and have team A inbound the ball near the division line. Partner says I should not have stopped play. Is he right? Rules reference always appreciated?

Phansen:

You will not find a rule reference but your partner was correct.

Prior to the 1963-64 season, National Basketball Committee of the United States and Canada (NBCUSC) Rules (note: The NBCUSC was the basketball rules writing body for boys'/girls' high school and men's college prior to being split into the NFHS and NCAA Men's Rules Committees in the late 1970's.) allowed game officials to stop the game or to prevent a Dead Ball (DB) from becoming a Live Ball (LB) so that a player could tie his/her shoe. Starting with the 1963-64 season this provision was intentionally deleted from Rule 2. The Rules Committee, in an editorial comment, stated that the provision was deleted because the Committee did not want officials to stop the game or delay a DB from becoming LB so that a player could tie his/her shoe. The effect of this rule change is that officials by rule cannot stop the game or delay a DB from becoming LB so that a player can tie his/her shoe.

If one goes to the current NFHS Basketball Handbook and go to the chapter on the history of the rules changes, one will see the change listed in 1964. This rules change is still valid for both NFHS and NCAA Men's/Women's Rules.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio