View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 04, 2003, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Is anyone as confused about the whole Doherty firing, uh, I mean resignation as I am? Here's a excerpt from an si.com article:

Michael Jordan criticized his alma mater on Thursday, saying North Carolina shouldn't have forced coach Matt Doherty to resign. Remembering his days at North Carolina, Jordan said the school should have sided with the coach instead of malcontent players. "Kids get yelled at. I was yelled at, and there were times when I probably felt like I wanted to go home," he said. "But I'm a firm believer that 18-year-old kids shouldn't be able to determine a coach's future."

I think the biggest factor against Doherty or any future Tarheel coach is Dean Smith himself. I heard that he wasn't happy when Doherty brought in his own assistant and let Guthridge's guys go. Don't you think something like that would have been discussed ahead of time?

Plus, Coach Smith still has an office in the athletic department. Why? This can do nothing but harm the program in the long run.

If all Doherty did was lose it with some players, that's one thing. It not worth a dismissal, though. He must have stepped on a few too many "family" toes!

UNC had better wake up or they're gonna turn into a UCLA situation. Unrealistic expectations for over 25 years and counting.