View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
Had one along these lines this weekend. Boys soph. A2 catches rebound (flat-footed on the ground), almost in triple-threat position, ball about shoulder height — actually commendable he doesn't lower the ball much (says this old coach). Of course he's going to put it back up, but he's not doing it yet and has clearly hesitated.

Whack comes B2 on the arm ... tweet ... pause ... then up goes the flick of the shot. I had them inbounding on the endline and sold it so nobody on the floor complained (other than the HC who "helped" us much of the game). Kind of disjointed play. Partner said later he would have given the two FTAs based on the "gathering" principle. Except the ball wasn't moving or being gathered.

In retrospect, it would have been easy to just give the FTAs. Did I totally kick it or have much justification for the way it was handled?
From the way you described it, sounds like the kid is standing like a zombie with no intent to shoot until the whistle snaps him back into reality. I believe the call could have gone either way. If I don't see an actual habitual shooting motion begin, then I would agree with your call. Wish APG had a clip for us, as its really a HTBT situation. I wouldn't sweat the fact that you and your partner don't agree. A lot of the calls we make depend on our angle on the play. Different positions observing the same play can definitely show different contact. Good topic for discussion.