View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 09, 2012, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukester View Post
Just wondering if anyone would have sent this girl straight to the bench…

3rd quarter, JV girls. From trail, I whistle H1 as she hits V1, forearm to forearm, while V1 is in the air shooting. I tell partner what I’ve got & who’s shooting, then report. As I turn to move into position for the free throws, I’m met by H2 who asks (unemotionally, if not politely) “where did she get her?” In stride as I move toward my spot, I reply “she got her on the arm.” H2 then points & follows up with (now in a sarcastic tone – not that it would necessarily matter) “you saw that from over there?”… I hit the whistle and signal her T without hesitation and get to report yet again. Before I go into the “rest of the story” (because then it got interesting with the coach, too…) I wanted to ask here: how many out there, if any, might have tossed her for a comment like that?… How many, if any, just let it go without even the T?...
Maybe I'm getting soft, but if I had not heard anything yet from this player during the game, I would have replied with something like "Yes, you play and I'll referee". That would be my warning, and if she continued I would have penalized her.

Quote:
Then the fun continued…
When the foul was originally whistled, HC complained, but not overly-so. As I turn to report the T on H2, she’s againl complaining and now wants a time-out (obviously, to “visit” about the call…) Me: “just a moment coach” and I report the T on H2. Coach: “Time-out”… and begins to ask about the call. Me: “30 or full, coach?” She responds with “full”, as expected, and I get that reported & signal the timekeeper to start. Coach now asks ask where she got her… how could we foul that girl on the arm when she’s 6’2”?… etc.… Doesn’t apparently care for my calm, matter-of-fact answer. I tell her “that’s enough coach – no more.” As she turns to head to her team she gives me a “you guys need to call it both ways!” Whistle up to my mouth, whack, report, and now we’re shooting the 2 foul shots followed by 4 tech free throws. (She actually thenput her own seatbelt on and never said a peep after that.)

Yet another side-note to a very interesting quarter… HC never bothered to ask or apparently care about the conduct of H2. She’s still on the floor and about 3 or 4 possessions later we double-whistle her for an obvious foul on a shooter. Ball lands near her in the lane and she flings it two-handed at an angle toward the baseline. Partner is first to his whistle for that whack, and now H2 is done for the evening.

Good stuff.
The HC probably deserved the T from your description.