View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 10:11am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
That's exactly what it does mean. What you are describing is looking to your side. Peripheral vision is not good enough to see many things accurately enough to make an informed decision. Especially in 2 man where you are responsible for the line. I don't believe you can call the line with credibility with looking to the side. I'm in the process of teaching my daughter to drive. In backing up I'm teaching her to look back over her shoulder similar to how I do in officiating basketball. If she looks to her side her vision behind her is not as good as it could or should be. When I look back over my shoulder I have a much better view of the play behind me and the players.
All I need to see is that the ball went out on my line. I'll let my partner who is covering the ball then give me "help" if I didn't see what caused the OOB. I never (knock on wood) fail to blow my line, but I'm also not shy about asking for help. As the new Lead in 2-man I'm usually responsible for 6-9 players until the ball settles in the front court. If the action does all of a sudden come to my sideline then I'm going to stop and position myself to see the pack and to referee what's coming at me. I'm not going to keep moving away from the action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
I part of our disagreement here is basically a difference in how quickly we try to get to the endline as new L. With no pressure, I move as quickly as possible to the endline and officiate play as it comes to me. It seems to me that you pace the players to the endline. This means I have to look further over my shoulder than you do to cover players (although certainly not 180 degrees, more like 95 degrees.
In 3-man I get down as fast as possible, in 2-man I don't. In 2-man, while in transition I want provide some "Slot" support. Also in 2-man I'm sure I close down on farther as the Trail than 99% of the officials so most times I'm not in position to have all the players behind me when the play starts going the other way.

BTW, I love this discussion. Rule talk is good and necessary, of course, but I really get excited when the discussion is about how we "officiate" and why.