View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 09:31am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
I made it a point to notice how much of the court I could see while running down the court (forward) and looking over my shoulder. I could easily see more than half the court - the entire front court and some of the backcourt. There is no good reason not to run forward down the court.
+1. I think some folks are taking "looking over your shoulders" too literally, as in you're running forward while looking almost 180 degrees behind. That's not what it means. It means to run with your head turned to your inside shoulder to look directly onto the court which then allows your peripheral to catch anything unusual that may happen behind you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
...I do NOT ever back pedal while reffing basketball. Side-stepping is not "natural" either, but I do frequently side-step when "C" so that I am able to face directly across the court. I also side-step while "T" as the ball is being contested while being brought up the court. I believe that in these two instances, I am much better able to view my match-up(s) while moving up the court....
Coach, I sidestep also, especially in 2-man crews as the new Lead helping with pressing situations...as you pointed out, like running backwards it's unnatural , but it allows you to see directly on the court.