View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
No, I act it's an unnatural motor skill, something we don't do naturally. Something that someone puts thought into while doing it. And while doing it they also have to focus on something else that doesn't come natural, looking off ball.
BadNewsRef (and just about all others),
I have enjoyed this thread for a couple reasons. First of all, I seriously doubt that the mechanics manual is going to change anytime soon to incorporate backpedaling as a mechanic.

As I pointed out earlier, SAFETY is the real reason, in my opinion backpedaling is not included as an option for basketball referees. JRut added the head injury to the list of safety concerns.

At the same time, some of us are quite fast moving backwards -- and it has BECOME very natural which is no different than looking off ball. Both take practice. Some NEVER become proficient at running backwards. Others never become proficient at looking off ball.

Ironically, in soccer, as an assistant referee ("linesman" or "line judge", if you prefer, although not accurate), we are strongly criticized for running while looking over are shoulder as opposed to side-stepping (defensive slide, if you prefer) since we may miss an offside call or other foul due to a lower-than-optimal field of view.

I do NOT ever back pedal while reffing basketball. Side-stepping is not "natural" either, but I do frequently side-step when "C" so that I am able to face directly across the court. I also side-step while "T" as the ball is being contested while being brought up the court. I believe that in these two instances, I am much better able to view my match-up(s) while moving up the court.

I will agree with my soccer counterpart, that there are several advantages to back pedaling in basketball. Unfortunately, the safety risks outweigh these benefits.