View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 04:01pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
Yes, I can run as fast as most varsity boy soccer players while running backwards, at least over short distances (15-20 yards) and do so frequently. But admittedly, I'm a younger official and I train for soccer...
Do you turn to backpedal or are you are already backing up and then a situation comes up where you need to sprint backwards? On a basketball court you are stationary officiating when a shot goes up. Not to diminish your athletic ability but you are not backpedaling up the court faster than the teenagers around here running forward. Maybe a middle school game but not JV or Varsity in these parts.

Quote:
That doesn't change the fact that you aren't using the vast majority of your field of vision for looking at play. Also, if you are with the pack, aren't you getting straight-lined?
How am I straight-lined? I'm looking east/west through players who are going north/south . Someone who is back-pedaling is looking at the backs of players.

Quote:

Which is why you need more useful field of vision, not less. The rest of this point is that people with little experience running backwards don't do it well. That should be self-evident. Also, it is not difficult at all to change direction while running backwards.
For soccer officials and DBs at the NFL Combine it's not difficult. I would say a majority of basketball officials don't have that training.

Running backwards is not a natural act like running forwards. It takes more engagement from the brain which takes away concentration from other activities the brain is focusing on. It may be second nature to you but it's not to most people.

As I alluded to in another post if an official is in a position to backpedal and beat all the players up court I don't see how he was engaged in the previous play on the other end of the court. He was most likely backing away from the previous play.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Jan 31, 2012 at 04:07pm.