View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
1. So you run backwards faster than teenage boys run frontwards? After you have closed down for a shot you can backpedal and beat sprinting 16 year-old boys down the court?
Yes, I can run as fast as most varsity boy soccer players while running backwards, at least over short distances (15-20 yards) and do so frequently. But admittedly, I'm a younger official and I train for soccer.

Quote:
2a & b. When I run with my head over my shoulder my eyes are facing the court. I'm with the pack or slightly ahead. My peripheral allows me to see to the front (the direction I'm going) and behind me, with my primary vision on to the court all the way to the opposite sideline if needed. Running while looking over your shoulder doesn't mean to torgue your neck so far that you can see the back of your shoulder blades.
That doesn't change the fact that you aren't using the vast majority of your field of vision for looking at play. Also, if you are with the pack, aren't you getting straight-lined?

Quote:
3. As the new Lead you have more coverage than a Trail bringing up the ball. I have never seen a basketball official who runs backwards while turning his head left or right. They look the direction their body is facing and since they are on the sideline either everything to their left peripheral or right periperhal is OOB. And an official backpedaling cannot change direction and still focus on a matchup the way the new Trail can change directions while running forward with and keeping focus on the ballhandler.
Which is why you need more useful field of vision, not less. The rest of this point is that people with little experience running backwards don't do it well. That should be self-evident. Also, it is not difficult at all to change direction while running backwards.