View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 03:43pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
I agree he shouldn't run backwards. However, there is one benefit to it and its probably why most people use this poor mechanic. Your field of vision is better than when you are running down the court looking over your shoulder. This I believe is more prevalent in 2 man when the sideline is your responsibility. Also if you are running down court with your head over your shoulder like you are supposed to in 2 man you are just as much likely to trip over something in front of you because you can't see it.

I agree we shouldn't run backwards, however, just wanted to point out that there is one small advantage to it. Of course if you have players you are trying to beat down the court you need to be watching them and hope your partner can help you on any calls on the line.
In 2 man I'm less likely to sprint down the court than I am in 3-man. In 2-man I only sprint as the new Lead if it's a fast break. In 3-man I can sprint down the court after made baskets or defensive rebounds because I know the C is available to help the T. In 2-man, if there is no fast break, first thing on doing on change of possession is freezing and squaring up to the court so I can see my new matchups and find the pack. If the new Lead is backpedaling up the court that's an indication to me that he bailed out early on the shot.