View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 03:26pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
1. Because the players don't stop. If you stop, you'll have players closer to the endline than you who are your responsibility.

2a. The same way as when looking over the shoulder except with primary vision instead of peripheral vision.

2b. Only if for some reason you are staring straight down the sideline instead of looking on the court. Of course, when looking over the shoulder you are only using about a third of your visual field, so hey, half is an improvement.

3. Why would you do that? You turn your head towards the court in the same manner as the T bringing the ball up from the backcourt.
1. So you run backwards faster than teenage boys run frontwards? After you have closed down for a shot you can backpedal and beat sprinting 16 year-old boys down the court?

2a & b. When I run with my head over my shoulder my eyes are facing the court. I'm with the pack or slightly ahead. My peripheral allows me to see to the front (the direction I'm going) and behind me, with my primary vision on to the court all the way to the opposite sideline if needed. Running while looking over your shoulder doesn't mean to torgue your neck so far that you can see the back of your shoulder blades.

3. As the new Lead you have more coverage than a Trail bringing up the ball. I have never seen a basketball official who runs backwards while turning his head left or right. They look the direction their body is facing and since they are on the sideline either everything to their left peripheral or right periperhal is OOB. And an official backpedaling cannot change direction and still focus on a matchup the way the new Trail can change directions while running forward with and keeping focus on the ballhandler.