View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

I don't run backwards but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
My reason for not liking has nothing to do with possibly tripping. My thing is if you are running backwards what are you looking at? Definitely not the players headed to the paint and post areas. If you are trying to help with action along your sideline you're not much help b/c you are going away from said action. If you are trying to help you need to stop and officiate.

I see absolutely no benefit to it.
I agree he shouldn't run backwards. However, there is one benefit to it and its probably why most people use this poor mechanic. Your field of vision is better than when you are running down the court looking over your shoulder. This I believe is more prevalent in 2 man when the sideline is your responsibility. Also if you are running down court with your head over your shoulder like you are supposed to in 2 man you are just as much likely to trip over something in front of you because you can't see it.

I agree we shouldn't run backwards, however, just wanted to point out that there is one small advantage to it. Of course if you have players you are trying to beat down the court you need to be watching them and hope your partner can help you on any calls on the line.