View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

First off, let me note again that I sidestep or look over my shoulder as the play dictates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
What exactly are you looking at while backing up?
The players.

Quote:
If there is so much going on behind you why don't you just stop and officiate the players?
Because the players don't stop. If you stop, you'll have players closer to the endline than you who are your responsibility.

Quote:
If you are on the sideline as the new lead and you are backing up how are you seeing in between players coming up the court? How are you covering the crash on the opposite sideline?
The same way as when looking over the shoulder except with primary vision instead of peripheral vision.

Quote:
So you are telling me that if you are running backwards down the sidelines your view of the court is just as good?
Better.

Quote:
It would seem to me half of your peripheral would be emcompassed by the fans or benches.
Only if for some reason you are staring straight down the sideline instead of looking on the court. Of course, when looking over the shoulder you are only using about a third of your visual field, so hey, half is an improvement.

Quote:
Or do you run backwards but turn your head 90 degrees towards the court?
Why would you do that? You turn your head towards the court in the same manner as the T bringing the ball up from the backcourt.