View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 01:09pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I found this old thread and I noticed a few things:

(1) I really miss Mick.

(2) Nothing has changed here. Not a thing.

And it's 3 years later. And the first 2 rounds are still 2-person. And some of the conferences that went 3-person have gone back to 2-person. And there's no real commitment to move the state towards 3-person officiating across the board.

I've heard an interesting proposal I'd get right behind. Right now, many conferences pay $120 for varsity officials and $80 for freshman and JV officials (2 per game). That's $280 per night, assuming one freshman team. Drop the pay for the varsity officials to $55 (that's $165 for a 3-person crew) and drop the freshman/JV pay from $40 to $30. It would cost the schools $5 more a night, TOTAL.

Before anyone thinks I'm against the FR/JV officials, let me point out that in *many* communities, the FR/JV officials do not join associations, do not attend camps, and do not have any desire to ever do more than work those preliminary games. In many cases, the officiating is beyond terrible and the only motivation for those guys is to get a paycheck.

For those who don't fit this bill, there will be many openings at the varsity level since every game will be played with 3 officials.

I'm sure I'll be back in 3 years pointing out that nothing has changed.

Last edited by Rich; Tue Jan 31, 2012 at 01:16pm.