View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkBBK View Post
We pregame how we want to divide the lane if we even want to at all. With some crews L owns the paint otherwise we go 50/50. C can have a whistle in the paint, but it is L's primary.
However we do say that L NEEDS to get over so we can get it right

I applaud the fact that you pregame this coverage, but wouldn't we all be better off if crews used the mechanics manual rather than doing their own thing?

I work very hard not to call across the paint. About the only time I do go is if there is a secondary defender sliding over from my area, in which case I'lll have a better look at LGP for that player than my C. If I'm calling anything on the other side of the lane, I'm definitely going to be pinched. I don't have the numbers, but I'm told that there was a study the NCAA did a few years ago that when the L goes across, they are wrong much more often. To me, the problem with going across the paint, or going out of your area to make a call is that more often than not, you're not seeing the entire play, which means you're making an educated guess. Just my $.02 of course.