View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 05:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
As a general rule no it is not the best look on most plays. But there are times when a play is coming to the basket the L has a great look at things the C might get screened off of. If it is a common occurance then it can be a problem. But there are situations where this is OK and sometimes the L can see other defenders coming over to defend the basket better.

I have learned over the years to stop with the absolutes. I do not make many calls across the lane and usually move to get there, but I might look across when my line is threatened and see a bump out of bounds, but that is not common I would not be coming over. I just think we need to get in position to make calls and sometimes it is about angles, not specific positions.

Peace
I'm not one who reaches across often, but that's mainly because I'm an active L who doesn't hesitate to rotate frequently, sometimes a few times per possession.

If I do get in a position where I can't get over in time, I'll pinch the paint and recognize that the angle I get might be the only one that picks something up. I'm not going to pass on an obvious foul just cause it's a step outside the lane. That said, if it's a 50/50 thing (or even a 75/25 thing), I'll let my C decide for himself if we need a whistle.

Regardless, I'm not going to apologize for making a call a step out of the lane across the lane. And I'm not going to be pissed if my partner comes and gets that when I'm the C, either. We're a team out there.

Last night we had a play where a player drove baseline in front of the L and he no-called it. From my view as the C, if it was anything it was a block as the defender closed ground while the shooter was airborne (and as I was watch players position themselves for rebounds, I really didn't have a great look). The L no called it, (and it was probably the proper call in the situation based on what I did see and what the T caught in his periphery). The home coach went a bit crazy wanting a PC foul and when he came onto the court, the third official (the T) whacked him. I was the only one "not involved" so I went right over to the bench and absorbed a lot of stuff while sitting the coach down. He never argued the technical, but rather kept saying that we needed to "help the young son-of-a-gun out" there. But while I had a look at the play and saw a possible block, I had a L right in front of that with the perfect look -- so that's what I mean. It's not an elephant and not a situation where I may have had a better look, so there's no way I'm putting air in my whistle there.

Last edited by Rich; Sun Jan 29, 2012 at 05:13pm.