Thread: Dunk in pregame
View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 03:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Keep giving examples. No matter who it is, if he is dressed like the team, and warming up with the team, he is affiliated with the team, and is subject to being penalized for his actions.

You're saying him sitting on the bench would make a difference? On the bench is an affiliation, but warming up with the team is not?
Since only team members are listed in the scorebook, I put the part about will not be sitting on the bench to make it clear that he is not an asst coach, a manager, a stat person, a trainer, etc. with the team.

I can't believe that people are actually saying that a VARSITY team member who is on the court during the JV warm-ups should be considered part of the JV team! Those who are writing that are actually stating that the kid is part of another team, yet still want to include him with the team currently contesting the game. That is absurd. If you know that he is on the Varsity team, then how can you consider him to be part of the JV squad?

The kid is either on the Varsity team or the JV team. If your state allows him to play in both, then I can see this side of the argument. However, barring such a provision, the kid should be treated as a spectator and removed from the floor without penalty to the team participating in the game.