View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Bat Checks Eliminated

Some of you may have had this info for a while, if so I apologize for repeating it. Another thread spoke of bat rolling and how the NFHS is asking manufacturers to come up with a tamper proof design for the future. I noted that in Illinois, we won't be doing the pre-game bat/hat check this year. Coaches will have to verify if their team is properly equipped and some of us wondered whether there would be any teeth to the change.

The 2012 NFHS Baseball preseason guide's cover story covers it. 7-4-1a will be the penalty for the batter - out or the defense can have the result of the play. However, the coach is restricted to the dugout. If it happens a second time in the same game, he is ejected. Further violations and the replacement coach gets bounced.

This means that baseball now joins football and other sports where the HC needs to verify that his players are compliant. I am new to football officiating and don't work other sports; is baseball the only one that now has a penalty given to the coach for illegal equipment?