View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 11, 2012, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
So you're only going to call a T if the quitting player is due to shoot free throws?
No, I'm calling the T on any player, but I can see trying to get out of it with a non-shooter.

Quote:
As Rut pointed out, the chance of the situation actually happening is so minimal the rules don't really address it. You don't need a mechanism; just let the sub shoot. If you feel so strongly that coach A might be trying to play a game, call the T. Or you could simply let coach B pick the shooter (stretching 2-3).
I disagree, the rules lay out how and when a player may be substituted, and this isn't an allowable situation.

Quote:
Personally, if I know from the start that the player is quitting, I'm just going to consider the player no longer eligible and let the sub shoot.
But you can't know what the player's doing. You have no way of distinguishing a fit of pique that will be over in a minute from a kid who is hanging up his sneakers for all time. Since we can't know otherwise, we have to treat him as what the rules see him: a player who is required to shoot free throws.

Quote:
Let's change it slightly: A1 is due free throws. Coach calls timeout. After the timeout, coach informs you that A1 is suspended for something he said to the coach in the TO.

What do you do?
I tell the coach he's welcome to suspend him once he's no longer a player, but in the mean time I need him to shoot free throws.

My experience in soccer colors my opinion here. I've seen all kinds of crazy things done in an attempt to avoid yellow cards from tying shoes to faking serious injuries (we aren't supposed to give cards to players who are on the ground injured, which causes players to think if they stay on the ground long enough they won't get a card). If you want off the court, fine. But you're going to have to do it legally or accept the consequences.