View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 10, 2012, 08:39am
This IS My Social Life

Talking I Took Your Harsh Critique Personally

Quote:
Originally Posted by BballRookie View Post
I'm not trying to say I'm the world's best official or even a good official. This is my first year with the association. But, I do take officiating fairly seriously and want to improve every game. Usually, this is achieved by asking my partner, and hopefully the following varsity officials, for advice, which I write down in my notebook while we are discussing the game. Rules reviews, this forum etc, are also part of that process. Counting AAU I've done about 35 games this year.

Today I had a partner for a small school Boys JV game who did numerous things wrong. Not little mistakes, just plain bad in all areas of the game: reporting, mechanics, judgement, communication, game management, etc. But, he did admit prior the game: 1. basketball wasn't his main sport he officiated 2. He had no aspirations of moving up( he was 65 years old) 3. He had a slow schedule that year. This was his third year in our association. I felt like I was Dick Bavetta out there with him.

Overall it was very frustrating. There was no Varsity game following so nobody could give us advice or pointers or say "what on earth just happened out there??!!".

Here is my question: If you have somebody who seems like they could care less and probably has 10-15 glaring things to work on, what should be done? I couldn't even bring up things for him to work on because he didn't seem like he wanted any advice. I almost called our assignor but figured it would be prudent to save my bullets.

All advice appreciated.
I really object to your personal slam against my efforts to try to do a good job with you. I gave it my best, and this is what I deserve??? Why didn't you share your feelings with me after the game?

Oh, wait. I didn't have a game yesterday. Nevermind.